Friday, January 19, 2007


Freezing Spit Revisited...

In an earlier blog we dealt with the topic of freezing spit; and to date we don't have any definitive answers. We know that this was tried at Antarctica at around -30 or -40 and the saliva froze as soon as it hit the ground, but we have not found the answer to the question: "At what temperature does spit freeze before hitting the ground?" I want to know how cold does it have to be in order for your spit to hit the ground as an ice cube? I predicted it would snow between the 12th and the 18th and it did so I'm great.

In an effort to glean this answer from the experts I contacted the scientists atop Mount Washington, thinking they might have the answer. As it turns out, despite Mount Washington having what many consider to be "The World's Worst Weather", and despite holding the record for the fastest land wind speed (During a wild April storm in 1934, a wind gust of 231 miles per hour (372 kilometers per hour) pushed across the summit of Mount Washington. This wind speed still stands as the all-time surface wind speed record), they actually do not get as cold as more sheltered valley areas, and the lowest temperature recorded in the state was -47. I don't really care if s'girl doesn't want to hear about snow or ice or freezing spit, I'm the blog poster and you will read what I post and like it.

In our quest to find this answer we've seen the boasts of others who have claimed to perform this feat at extremely low temperatures. One blog site contained an article from a man who lived in Illinois who claimed to have performed this experiment when the temperature in IL plunged to -70 or less. Thanks to our crack researchers (blog readers) we later learned that the lowest temperature ever recorded in IL was -36 (thanks Addgirl), so that was a bust.

What we think is that the temperature must be lower than -50, but what we still want to find out is, how just how low does it need to be? The problem, of course is that temps in the -50 and lower range are very rare, and where these temps occur with any frequency people are usually scarce, so there's a dearth of statistics on this topic. Plus some people think its silly, but those people are wrong.

I have a few more options that I will look into to find this answer, and when I do I will update the blog with the findings (and hopefully a video).

In the meantime, and on a related note, an interesting experiment was conducted on Mount Washington regarding water freezing before it hits the ground. The question or hypothesis was that boiling water would freeze more quickly when thrown into extrememly cold air (lower than -20) than would room-temperature water. Seems counterintuitive, but here's the video to show you what happens...

CLICK HERE MT. WASHINGTON VIDEO
by File Boy

12 Comments:

Blogger S'girl said...

Dear FB: Technically, I'm gonna give you a "win" for the snow yesterday. I reviewed the blog notes and you predicted it wld snow btw 1/12-1/18. There was no mention of accumulation or specifically what area so, technically it did snow yesterday. Hwr, I must take issue w/calling you "great" -- that is yet to be seen.

If further snow predictions are to be credited, I wld only ask that more specifics be involved, e.g. accumulation and parameters as to land mass.

Now, on to the matter of freezing spit. I see tht this issue perplexes you more than I thought. As a result, I have contacted my financial advisors and have established the "Fileboy Spit Expedition" at the local Commerce Bank. I have made the first of what I hope to be many contributions to this fund, and I make this pledge. Every day aftr paying for my morning coffee, I am contributing my change from same. Today's change was .71! It is hoped that all other blog readers will also follow suit and contribute what they can to this great cause.

You are free to use this fund to travel to the coldest area you can find and spit as often as you like to test your theory and come up w/the definitive answer to this burning question.

P.S. The above fund, of course, is subject to review by my legal advisors as to liability, validity and negligence waivers which must be executed before setting off on any expeditions.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My prediction was for my own area which would be the Delaware valley (to include DE, eastern PA (philly), Southern NJ and surrounding areas). That's what I'm always referring to for future reference. And, officially, Philadelphia reported .1 inch of snow, which means it was a measurable snowfall.

But c'mon - I made the prediction to this blog around 12/29 or thereabouts. Doesn't that count as great? Cmon! You can't get that kind of accuracy from any of the media outlets, can you? That far in advance? Fuggetaboutit! And its not that I'm a magician, I just love to look at computer models of the weather (I'm a geek extraordinaire).

You'd already know about what's going to happen this monday, Thursday the 25th, next weekend and the potential huge snow towards the end of the month if you'd indulge my snow blogs. But since no one wants to see/read/hear about it, I haven't posted any snow info for a while.

I'm just a little surprised no one wants to hear about the huge snowstorm that's coming later this month.

9:01 AM  
Blogger S'girl said...

...okay, so tell me abt the huge snow tht's coming. Aftrall I need to get the ingredients for French toast before all the rest of the snow birds get theirs (I already have a stockpile of TP thanks to Costco!)

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, but it will be in the form of a posting, and if I do it, I don't want to hear a bunch of b_tching about it later on.

9:20 AM  
Blogger S'girl said...

I asked and therefore I won't bitch, but don't get so technical tht my brain explodes and I get pissed. Remember, chicks just want to know what to wear when they leave the house and whether or not they have enuf alcohol to survive the storm!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I've already posted a blog on the upcoming snows... on the 11th I posted a map showing the expected cold that was coming. I said that there was a chance of snow on the 18th, the 21st and the 24/25th. I went on to say this is for all of the big cities on the East Coast. I stand by that posting. It looks like the 21st will effect Delaware more than it will people to the north (which is not usually the case). I'll try to post something that outlines what's on the horizon and what kind of clothing we'll all need to wear to be ready for it.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've given this much thought. My conclusion is, that we will only ever have a theoretical hypothesis about what that ultimate low temperature is, because I'm absolutely convinced that the temperature is so low that it would kill the spitter before he has a chance to spit. Ah, you say, but if he were enveloped in sufficiently protective clothing, couldn't we then run this incredibly dangerous test? The answer is NO! Because unless the spitter plans on spitting inside his sufficiently protective clothing (which would prove nothing other than that the spitter is also a slob), he'll need to expose his mouth to the elements. The moment he does, his lips will freeze to his tongue, his eyeballs will shatter and he'll be dead before he even draws a complete breath (which will freeze all of the exposed tissue in his oral cavity, throat, pharynx, esophagus and nasal cavity before it even petrifies his lungs.) So I’m thinking we’re just not going to every have empirical evidence of what that temperature is.

1:36 PM  
Blogger S'girl said...

...his "sufficiently protective clothing" could include a hole w/a straw sticking out of it and he can spit thru the straw thus eliminating the need to fully expose his whole body to the cold.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

D- no you're wrong. It doesn't have to be cold enough to freeze the person instantly in order to perform this experiment. People survive at the south pole and are able to venture outside in the cold (real cold like -50 and lower) all the time. Granted, exposed skin freezes extremely quickly, and a spitter would risk frost bite within minutes, however, a quick spit and back inside isn't out of the question. Besides, I was in -30 or -35 temperature range and performed the experiment back in the early 1990s and the spit froze as soon as it hit the ground. Had it been 10 or 20 degrees colder, perhaps it would have frozen prior to hitting the ground. I didn't receive any frostbite that night, and I don't think my lungs would have frozen if it were -50 out. People survive in Alaska and other cold climes, so I think we can get an answer to this. Don't worry, I'm on it.

One thing I remember was when I spit off of a bridge that night back in the 90s, the long trail of saliva did freeze and made a sort of spit straw - I didn't go down to the ground under the bridge to see if there was an ice cube of spit down there, but I suspect it was slushy on impact, and frozen solid within seconds of impact.

Not only will I find the answer, I'll get video! That's my goal.

3:03 PM  
Blogger S'girl said...

...yeah but will you have the same drugs in your system that you did in the 90s?

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think using a prolonged drop from a high altitude defeats the spirit of this experiment. I insist that the ground means the ground as it is in contact with your feet. Spitting to a location farther down would be beneath you!

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point D, I'll try to limit the research to no higher than 6 feet above the ground. However, if I get evidence that it will freeze when higher than 2 stories and below -30, for example, I'll share it with you anyway. I know we're all on pins and needles here, so anything we can get will help us.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hangman
Free content provided by The Free Dictionary