Friday, October 20, 2006

Back! Back! Back! We're Out Of Here!!










No cheeky descriptions of America's sport are necessary. Baseball rocks. Its fanatics know why. And this is our month. The World title is on the line and over the past five or so years, October has belonged to the underdog. Every year another Cinderella story unfolds and invariably we all cheer (well most of us) for the little guy. We do it because its in our blood and its good for the psyche. We love to hate Goliath and cheer his demise - especially when Goliath wears a Yankee's uniform.

My favorite team is whoever is playing the Yankees and this year I'm cheering for the Tigers (who isn't?) Its amazing that America's team with their 200+ million dollar payroll can't capture a World title. Year after year underdogs band together to wipe those smug looks off A-Rod's and Jeter's faces. The team of unlimited resources and talent can't get the job done when it needs getting done most. No amount of money can buy a team a win - especially when it needs it. What puts runs on the board isn't dollar signs and talent, its guts, passion and a need to win that is greater than the other team's desire. What's wrong with the Yankees it seems is what is wrong with America. I'm afraid the smug look has been wiped clean off all of our faces.

Unlimited talent, the richest country in the world, enough resources to win a dozen wars - but no desire to win this year, or last year, or the year before that. I don't blame America for wanting revenge following the 9/11 disaster. Who can? But exacting revenge and winning a war against a nation of 25 million people are two different things. America clearly has the means to get the job done in Iraq but it never had the desire. Whatever substitute for desire brought us there has faded. Its time to get off the field and go home.

The Yankees need a new manager. America needs a new direction. We've taken our eye off the ball, and with disastrous consequences.

by D. Tkon

3 Comments:

Blogger S'girl said...

I'm enjoying these postings and being a very visual person, the pics are just great! I smile as you talk abt the only sport I can actually understand without an interpreter. Before I know it you've taken me from the anticipation and excitement of one of my favorite fall pasttimes to the frustration and total feeling of helplessness I get as I watch the evening news. I still don't understand how or why we got into Iraq and I feel like I've drifted back to my youth and the days of Vietnam. And being that it's October, I keep waiting for Mr. Berra to say, "This is like deja vu all over again."

9:52 PM  
Blogger S'girl said...

Pass: "to live through, utilize, or fill". Past: "the time gone by". I pass the time and fill the moment only to notice tht the time has past -- did I utilize every chance I had before the time has gone by?

P.S. The trees -- I love watching the trees!

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hangman
Free content provided by The Free Dictionary